Shawnigan Shiver - January 1st, 2014
Written by Administrator Tuesday, 24 December 2013 06:12
Date: January 1, 2014
Time: 12:00 pm (11:15 am Registration)
Location: Shawnigan Government Wharf Park (off Heald Road, down behind Aitken Fraser Store)
Information For Participants:
- Registration opens at 11:15 am
- Registration is $5 and includes hot drink, cookie, prize draws
- Participants who get really wet will receive a Shawnigan Shiver Hat (Toque)
- Costumes are Encouraged!! Prizes for Best Costumes
- First 20 registrants will receive a $5 gift certificate to the Village Chippery Restaurant
- Spectators Welcome! The More the Merrier! Dress Festively!
Information for Volunteers:
The Shawnigan Shiver is organized and hosted by the Shawnigan Focus Newspaper Team (Lori Treloar) and could use some help on the day for the following duties:
- Registration Desk Helpers
- Wharf / Dock Marshals
- Hot Drink/Cookie Servers
- Campfire Monitors
- Beach Exit / Hat Distributors
- General Site & Safety Marshals
- More information for Volunteers:
Volunteers should arrive at 11:00 am. Dress Warm. Costumes Encouraged. The plan for the swim is that participants start only from the shore (not from the wharf) and will enter the water up to a rope boundary, which will not be very deep. Participants must register and sign a waiver. Participants may only be in the water for up to 5 minutes, and young children must be within arms reach of parents at all times. First Responders will be on site for safety. The wharf is only to be used for spectators (not for swimmers). Hot chocolate & cookies are free for participants, and $2 for spectators. A campfire will be on-site for warmth.
Hope you are having a wonderful Holiday Season and to see you at the Shawnigan Shiver on New Year's Day!